Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Setting a new course....

I just retired from the Navy after 22 years of service, living and traveling throughout much of the world and at home here in the United States. My last assignment brought me to New York City, where I had the incredible opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream of going to culinary school, in the part-time Chef's Training Program at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts. Having fallen in love with the city and the new opportunities here, I decided it was time to hang up the Service Dress Blue uniform and embark on a new adventure.

Rhumb lines are a navigational term, basically meaning a line of constant bearing. Baba au rhum is a delicious rum-soaked cake (or baba), made with a lot of eggs, butter and milk. While I try to focus my cooking on health-supportive, mainly vegetarian fare, Baba au Rhumb will be my little treat, the spot where I will keep the log of my new career and also reminisce on the sea stories and adventures of the first career. Time to set sail!