It was gorgeous here in New York on Wednesday night. After delivering a package to a friend on 26th Street I looked up 7th Avenue and saw the bright neon of Times Square shimmering in the distance. My feet took off and up the avenue I ambled, stopping at Macy's on 34th Street to look at their Christmas windows one last time for the year. As I headed east to check out the ice skating at Bryant Park I remembered my first time alone in the city.
It was December 2005. My mom had passed away in October and, having taken a lot of time off for the final weeks of her illness, I didn't feel comfortable asking for a big chunk of leave for the holidays. I decided to take the train up to New York for the Christmas weekend, and I got a room at the Algonquin Hotel. I spent the first day in the city walking up to Kitchen Arts and Letters, a wonderful store on the Upper East Side. It was Christmas Eve and I made my way back to the hotel walking down Fifth Avenue. I passed a few churches having services and saw many people walking to and fro, making last minute preps for Santa's visit. Down the street from the Algonquin is an Indian restaurant, the Jewel of India, and it was there that I had my dinner on Christmas Eve.
Six months later I moved here, on what was to be my final assignment in the Navy. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but worked hard to get out and learn what I could about the Big Apple. Now I'm truly making it home, and continuing to learn my way around. At sea we call this getting your sea legs. As I stood at Bryant Park I thought about the past four years, and my legs took off again, this time leading me back to the Jewel of India for a supper of Chicken Korma. Then it was on to the Algonquin, for an Old-Fashioned in the hotel lobby, and a toast to getting those sea legs and a wish for continuing joy here in my new hometown.
You can toast to your sea legs with an old-fashioned, too. Here's how to make one:
- Muddle two thick slices of navel orange in the bottom of a glass with about 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Add ice.
- Add a splash or two of water and a good splash of Makers Mark, or the bourbon of your choice.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
- Toast to the good life!
With best wishes for a happy, happy new year ---